Friday 27 March 2015

Singapore's greatest loss



While I'm certainly not a patriotic Singaporean, I have an immense amount of respect for Mr Lee Kuan Yew. Over the past week, it's been heartwarming to see the whole nation unite as one in grief and above all, the gratitude we have for Mr LKY. He has spent his whole life building Singapore up from a third-world fishing village to the first world cosmopolitan city we see today, with tall skyscrapers, 5-star international hotels, clean water and comfortable, wealthy lives for all citizens. Singaporeans now and of future generations will forever enjoy the fruits of his labor. What a legacy. Thank you sir, you will always be in our hearts.

His passing made me think about how I want to be remembered when it's my turn to go one day. As Mr Lee once said, "it's not about how you begin your journey, but how you end it."

I think I'd rather be loved deeply, than widely.